05:00 pm - 07:00 pmClick to Register: Click to Register
Crossing Party Lines: Portland, OR
Following our conversation on the varying shades of the political spectrum, we thought it fitting to revisit a previous topic: alternative voting methods.
In our current system, some feel that voting for their preferred candidate is like throwing their vote away.
Advocates of alternative voting methods not only believe there are options to fix these issues, but also to improve the diversity of candidates running and more accurately capture voters’ preferences.
Others feel that the system as it is doesn’t need change, or that proposed changes would be worse.
As part of this discussion we’ll try to identify the key components of a voting process and explore the criteria by which to compare them. Ultimately, though, we’ll focus on what we, as individuals, want our voting system to provide for us.
Join the Crossing Party Lines discussion and have a voice in our Nation’s Conversation! People of all views are welcomed, appreciated, and heard.
– More U.S. locations experimenting with alternative voting systems (see graphics) (https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/06/29/more-u-s-locations-experimenting-with-alternative-voting-systems/)
– What is Ranked Choice Voting? (https://youtu.be/8Z2fRPRkWvY)
– What is Approval Voting? (https://youtu.be/db6Syys2fmE)
– How Does STAR Voting Work? (https://youtu.be/3-mOeUXAkV0)
We would love to hear your thoughts on our social media pages. Don’t miss topic announcements, updates, news! Follow us on:
• Instagram @crossingpartylines (Instagram.com/crossingpartylines)
• Twitter @crosspartylines (Twitter.com/CrossPartyLines)
• Facebook @crossingpartylines (Facebook.com/crossingpartylines)