05:00 pm - 07:00 pmClick to Register: Click to Register
Crossing Party Lines: Portland, OR
In America, we like choice. Whether it’s where we shop, what we eat, or what we watch – the saying often goes “more choice is better.” So what about choosing where and how your child is educated? “School choice” refers to the options available to parents to have control over where their children go to school.
The existing public school system works for a lot of families, but not all. One concern about public education is that it may not be in line with a parent’s view of the type of education their children need. On the other side, a common concern about school choice programs is whether the public school system will suffer from a diversion of funds. Both sides point out that parents who can afford private school tuition have choices, but advocates stress the need for government funding to help less financially well-off parents get the same freedom.
In this meetup we’ll ask such questions as:
• Do you think parents should be allowed to use taxpayer dollars to place their child in a program of their choosing?
• Do you think school choice leads to schools competing with one another? If so, do you think this is a good thing?
• There are different types of school choice programs, which can be structured in various ways. Are your feelings on school choice influenced by how the programs are designed?
Join the Crossing Party Lines discussion and have a voice in our Nation’s Conversation! People of all views are welcomed, appreciated, and heard.
Looking for more information?
– The Debate Over School Choice (https://www.crf-usa.org/bill-of-rights-in-action/bria-8-2-b-the-debate-over-school-choice)
– School Choice in America (Dashboard) (https://www.edchoice.org/school-choice-in-america-dashboard-scia/)
– Types of School Choice (https://www.edchoice.org/school-choice/types-of-school-choice/)
Sign up here or at a chapter near you:
– Atlanta, GA: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-GA-Atlanta
– Austin, TX: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-TX-Austin
– Chicago, IL: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-IL-Chicago
– Columbus, OH: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-OH-Columbus
– Mesa, AZ: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-AZ-Mesa
– New York City: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-NY
– Portland, OR: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines
– Raleigh, NC: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-NC-Raleigh
– San Francisco Bay Area: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-CA-SanFrancisco
– Southern Oregon: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-OR-Medford
We would love to hear your thoughts on our social media pages. Don’t miss topic announcements, updates, news! Follow us on:
• Instagram @crossingpartylines (Instagram.com/crossingpartylines)
• Twitter @crosspartylines (Twitter.com/CrossPartyLines)
• Facebook @crossingpartylines (Facebook.com/crossingpartylines)