05:00 pm - 07:00 pmClick to Register: Click to Register
Crossing Party Lines: Portland, OR
In Portland, Oregon, protests against police brutality and systemic racism have been going on for more than 60 days. On July 4th, President Trump sent Federal resources in to address the situation. Despite efforts by local and national law enforcement, the violence has not diminished. In fact, it appears to have escalated. The city mayor, Ted Wheeler, and state governor, Kate Brown, have both asked the Federal government to remove the officers.
Lines are being drawn between those who support the President’s decision and those who don’t. At this meetup we will look at the many different ways of interpreting these events. We hope to hear:
• Where do you stand, and why?
• What about this situation do you find most disturbing, and why?
• Where can we go from here?
– Portland protests: White House vows Trump won’t allow the city to “become the new CHOP” (https://youtu.be/sa04WtdgFhU) (Watch at least the first 6 minutes)
– Violent protest clashes turned Portland into a ‘right-wing boogeyman.’ Here’s how it happened. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/21/portland-feds-protests/)
– Portland protests: Majority continue to march peacefully (https://youtu.be/-A74eBtHxxs)
– Myth vs. Fact: 50+ Nights of Violence, Chaos, and Anarchy in Portland, Oregon
– Portland Protesters: In Their Own Words (https://reason.com/2020/07/25/portland-protesters-in-their-own-words/)
– Portland protests: All you need to know about Trump’s crackdown (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53473732)
Join the Crossing Party Lines discussion and have a voice in our Nation’s Conversation! People of all views are welcomed, appreciated, and heard.
We would love to hear your thoughts on our social media pages. Don’t miss topic announcements, updates, news! Follow us on:
Instagram @crossingpartylines Instagram.com/crossingpartylines
Twitter @crosspartylines Twitter.com/CrossPartyLines
Facebook @crossingpartylines Facebook.com/crossingpartylines