05:00 pm - 07:00 pmClick to Register: Click to Register
Crossing Party Lines: Portland, OR
America is a multi-party system, but it seems the power of the Democratic and Republican parties limit our options to just two. At our Shades of Red and Blue conversation, many people questioned whether a two party system could ever truly represent people’s political views effectively. With 62% of Americans echoing that statement, it is clearly a topic worth talking about.
Supporters of the two-party system say that it encourages majority representation and its simple design helps to eliminate confusion for voters. There’s also the argument that other parties already play an influential role in politics today: bringing additional and often different ideas to the forefront of political conversation.
In this meetup we’ll explore our personal views about how well the current system represents us. We’ll ask such questions as:
• What role do parties outside of the Democratic and Republican tickets play in our politics today?
• Do you think a third-party candidate will ever be elected president? What would it take for this to happen?
• Do you think having a “multi-party system” would improve or worsen the political process as it exists today?
Join the Crossing Party Lines discussion and have a voice in our Nation’s Conversation! People of all views are welcomed, appreciated, and heard.
Looking for more information?
– Support for Third U.S. Political Party at High Point (https://news.gallup.com/poll/329639/support-third-political-party-high-point.aspx)
– 3rd-Party Candidates Play A Role In U.S. Elections (https://share.america.gov/3rd-party-candidates-play-role-in-u-s-elections/)
– 16 Advantages and Disadvantages of the Two Party System (https://connectusfund.org/16-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-the-two-party-system)
Sign up here or at a chapter near you:
– Atlanta, GA: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-GA-Atlanta
– Austin, TX: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-TX-Austin
– Chicago, IL: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-IL-Chicago
– Columbus, OH: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-OH-Columbus
– Mesa, AZ: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-AZ-Mesa
– New York City: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-NY
– Portland, OR: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines
– Raleigh, NC: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-NC-Raleigh
– San Francisco Bay Area: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-CA-SanFrancisco
– Southern Oregon: https://www.meetup.com/Crossing-Party-Lines-OR-Medford
We would love to hear your thoughts on our social media pages. Don’t miss topic announcements, updates, news! Follow us on:
• Instagram @crossingpartylines (Instagram.com/crossingpartylines)
• Twitter @crosspartylines (Twitter.com/CrossPartyLines)
• Facebook @crossingpartylines (Facebook.com/crossingpartylines)