05:00 pm - 07:00 pmClick to Register: Click to Register
Crossing Party Lines: Portland, OR
In the last six months, 19 states have proposed 84 different laws designed to contain the violence and destruction resulting from protests. So far 34 of these laws have been enacted. Will these laws infringe on our freedom of speech, or will they protect it? Will they make us safer? Join us as we ask these questions, as well as others, including:
• Who and what is driving these new laws?
• How should the police respond to protests, especially when there is rioting/property destruction/etc mixed in?
• How do the police (or anyone else) distinguish between protesters and rioters?
• What role does protest play in democracy?
Resources, Context, Commentary:
– US Protest Law Tracker, International Center for Not-For-Profit Law, (https://www.icnl.org/usprotestlawtracker/)
– Law Enforcement Groups Drive Anti-Protest Laws, New Analysis Shows, The Intercept (https://theintercept.com/2021/05/09/police-anti-protest-greenpeace-voting-rights/)
– Why So Many Police Are Handling the Protests Wrong (https://www.themarshallproject.org/2020/06/01/why-so-many-police-are-handling-the-protests-wrong)
– How to Stop Targeted Violence in U.S. Cities, (https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-justice/commentary/how-stop-targeted-violence-us-cities)
Join the Crossing Party Lines discussion and have a voice in our Nation’s Conversation! People of all views are welcomed, appreciated, and heard.
We would love to hear your thoughts on our social media pages. Don’t miss topic announcements, updates, news! Follow us on:
Instagram @crossingpartylines Instagram.com/crossingpartylines
Twitter @crosspartylines Twitter.com/CrossPartyLines
Facebook @crossingpartylines Facebook.com/crossingpartylines