CPL’s theme for 2024 is “Go Big or Go Home.”
Go Big because 2024 promises to be one of American Politic’s most contentious years ever. Chaos reigns as the Republican Party waits with baited breath to discover who their candidate will be and whether former president Donald Trump will be allowed to run as the Democratic Party wrestles with responding to challenges at home and abroad in a way that resonates with the American public. Meanwhile, violence is breaking out around the world and at home, and toxic polarization is on the rise (despite the fact that 87% of Americans want to reduce it) because the media and the major parties when they can brainwash us into treating politics as a blood sport.
We at Crossing Party Lines are doing everything we can to expand our reach and help average Americans learn the skills for talking with others whose views are different to their own so they can become informed voters by exploring issues from all angles.
- We’re adding new events for you: Book Club, Film Club, and more.
- We’re finding ways to reach more people:
- Piloting a program that will lower the bar for libraries around the country to host CPL-style community conversations.
- Launching a mobile app YOU can use to continue our conversations after our events.
- Simplifying event registration.
- Publishing a monthly newsletter to keep you informed.
- Expanding our presence on Social Media and beyond.
- Training more moderators to meet the expanded need.
- Restarting in-person meetings at the local level.
- Forming new chapters in areas that need them.
Or Go Home because we’ve discovered that an all-volunteer organization is not sustainable, especially at the scale we are operating at now.
As a co-founder and the Executive Director, I promise to continue donating my time to ensure that 2024 will be the best year ever, however I will also be working with the new Funding Committee to find ways to hire qualified people to fill essential roles.
- We will be more transparent about the true cost of doing our work, so you can decide whether you value it enough to donate your time, money, or support.
- We’ll develop fun fundraising campaigns you can invite your friends and family to participate in.
- We’ll be seeking out and applying for grants.
- We’re expanding our board to include more people with more connections in the philanthropic space as well as bridging space.
Kareem and I are the co-founders of Crossing Party Lines, but we’ve always considered the organization to belong to the members. YOU help us choose the topic. YOU tell us what workshops to design next. YOU give up your time to attend our meetings. YOU volunteer to make things happen.
In the end, it will be up to YOU to help us become sustainable and can continue after we elect our new president.
Yours with love and much respect,